Author Topic: Design Your Own Unique Item  (Read 36071 times)

VampQ

• Evil Bunneh
  • Administrator
  • Dark Will
Re: Design Your Own Unique Item
« Reply #150 on: Sep 30, 2010; 09:19 am »
Quote from: "Kite"
Pah peanuts... we're already way beyond those limits :P If you want we can make it 10000% xD +100% health anyone? Or how about +1 to ALL skills (class independent xD).

But why is that? What's the point of using these enormous numbers? All the fun is gone then, this is just for players that like getting into and disboweling everything and everyone...
Who says nothing is impossible?
I've been doing nothing for years.

Leitner

• Founder
  • Dark Will
« Reply #151 on: Sep 30, 2010; 10:46 am »
I personally agree with huk and vamp. I like the idea of new weapons/armor but they have to at least be semi balanced.

Obviously if we have 2.0 gear then the idea of a reasonable item goes up a little bit... but I might as well go back to hex editing and put 2000% damage on an item if we have extremely over powered items. The difference between killing something in .01 and .05 seconds really doesn't matter when you get to that point.

As a side note I know we are doing some beta phase item alterations so is it too late to make some item changes for our uniques?
We are Templar, while we breathe, we defend.

Kite

• Developer
  • Eldest
« Reply #152 on: Sep 30, 2010; 11:53 am »
Quote from: "VampQ"
But why is that? What's the point of using these enormous numbers? All the fun is gone then, this is just for players that like getting into and disboweling everything and everyone...

Heh, sorry if that one came out wrong xD

That was no serious comment, but a reply to Sef's and Bryan's comments
Quote from: "Sef"
Fire(Or Spectral) Nova change when it kills 25%
Quote from: "Bryan"
I think the legendary affix for on-kill novas caps at 20%,though I could be wrong here..
and a small (ok... massively exaggerated xD) hint on that we're now at the stage where we are able to surpass the normal item value limitations. I'm not telling anyone to produce uber-gear, but that it is possible to make exceptions if they're adequate and well reasoned (like a sword focusing purely on shield overload or something similar...). The balancing can/will and should still be discused in here, but no one needs to be afraid that the game won't be able to handle his values just because they're not beeing provided now. Of course we (especially maeyan who's currently creating all these items) prefer it, if the values are within the currently valid range, as there's quite a bit of modification and work by hand involved when adding higher values.

@Leitner:
Hm you can still post your new item values... It might be a good idea for people who already got their weapons to somehow mark their item suggestions as either done or modified so we can have a better overview over which items are done or not...
~ Recettear ~
Capitalism, ho!

maeyan

• Loves Hellgate
  • Administrator
  • Eldest
« Reply #153 on: Sep 30, 2010; 12:01 pm »
Quote from: "Bryan"
Quote from: "Seferoth"
Fire(Or Spectral) Nova change when it kills 25%

I think the legendary affix for on-kill novas caps at 20%,though I could be wrong here..

Pah peanuts... we're already way beyond those limits :P If you want we can make it 10000% xD +100% health anyone? Or how about +1 to ALL skills (class independent xD).
Yeah sure that's the case but why are you encouraging people to tip the caps. If you are going to over cap, you'll need to compensate for something else
Don't dream what to be; be what you always dreamed.

Kite

• Developer
  • Eldest
« Reply #154 on: Sep 30, 2010; 12:38 pm »
Quote from: "maeyan"
Yeah sure that's the case but why are you encouraging people to tip the caps. If you are going to over cap, you'll need to compensate for something else
I'm not telling anyone to produce uber-gear, but that it is possible to make exceptions if they're adequate and well reasoned (like a sword focusing purely on shield overload or something similar...).
And when I'm talking about "purely" that sword will have nothing else on it...
But yeah, thinking back it might've not been the best choice of words. It was more meant as a fun comment stating our new possibilities, but when I think about it now, that's exactly what the double-edged/mythic items are doing...
~ Recettear ~
Capitalism, ho!

VampQ

• Evil Bunneh
  • Administrator
  • Dark Will
« Reply #155 on: Sep 30, 2010; 01:04 pm »
Heh, sorry if that one came out wrong xD

That was no serious comment, but a reply to Sef's and Bryan's comments

Aah it's ok, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding! I was scared for a moment! :D
Who says nothing is impossible?
I've been doing nothing for years.

BotmasteR

• Founder
  • Dark Will
« Reply #156 on: Sep 30, 2010; 02:19 pm »
name: Dracula's holy blade
base item: dragonblade
item quality: I don't know... you decide :D
item level: 40-50
quote: fight for faith and shorten your way to hell
damage: 15-25fire/15-25spectral/15-25toxic (1.5m splash damage... applies to all damage types) +450 ignite/800 phase/250 poison
poison effect strength 25%* (see note below)

two relic mod slots.

affixes:
Spiritual Strength (2)
Prayer of Retribution (2)

Aura of Power (2)

Surge of Wrath (2)
Sweeping Strike (2)

20% spectral/fire/toxic onkill nova.

+10% to melee attack speed (if possible)

-120 hp per minute.

*if I correctly understand poison effect strength is a % of the weapons damage done per second, when a target is poisoned... if I'm wrong than ignore that bit :) .

EDITED.
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2010; 02:30 pm by BotmasteR »

PeeterMcG

• Eldest
« Reply #157 on: Sep 30, 2010; 02:35 pm »
The abundance of overpowered/imbalanced gear I was seeing was the main reason why I didn't have much interest in a vanity item for myself.

People are already making mods that so overpower their character that they have to create other mods to increase champion and elite baddies spawn rates dramatically.  This indicates to me that things are already WAY imbalanced.  Is it not already enough that we can exceed level 50 with a character?  Do we really need the overpowered gear and the mods that people are making with enough skill points to max out everything or 500 extra attribute points?

<shrug>

Sorry.  Not intending to go on a tirade, it is just that some of us wish to maintain a certain challenge.  I can simply avoid installing any of the "easy mode" mods that people are creating.  If overpowered items are put into the game, then the entire concept of balance is out the window and that is not something I wish to see in the core experience of the game.

If someone wants the "iWin" button, create a damn mod so that you can kill all baddies on the screen with a single key press, leave the core experience alone for the rest of us that wish to enjoy a challenge in our video games.
[/rant]
Quote from: "thumper"
Hmmm. If it's a sword for Peter, then what type of damage is best suited to represent the effect of his wit?  Methinks caustic...
:lol:
Aw, shucks...
"Don't argue with idiots -- they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Quote from: RoanK
i have absolutely no idea what i'm talking about,
Save your breath...You'll need it to blow up your date.

hukhuk

• Founder
  • Eldest
  • lowfive
« Reply #158 on: Sep 30, 2010; 11:10 pm »
Quote from: "BotmasteR"
name: Dracula's holy blade
base item: dragonblade
item quality: I don't know... you decide :D
item level: 40-50
quote: fight for faith and shorten your way to hell
damage: fire/spectral/toxic (splash) +450 ignite/800 phase/250 poison

affixes:
Spiritual Strength (2)
Prayer of Retribution (2)

Aura of Power (2)

Surge of Wrath (2)
Sweeping Strike (2)

20% spectral/fire/toxic onkill nova.

+10% to melee attack speed (if possible)

-120 hp per minute.
i have never played a real high end BM but.. that seems a bit over the top? am i wrong here?
anyways, peter did sum it up very nicely. i too do like the game to be challenging, that is why i decided to choose the stats on my unique as i did. low ilvl, no +damage etc make the gun only interesting to certain play styles and with hopefully good (random or augmented) mods.

what i'd really love to see is a "jesters" affix that comes with greatly increased stat req's.
if you don't remember: jester was a diablo1 affix that randomly did anything between 0 and base dam+500% damage (iirc). mostly you just got low to mediocre damage, but sometimes... POW RIGHT IN THE KISSER :mrgreen:
a bit of a gambling weapon, but at times worth it.

edit
btw we really need to discuss that rodent flinging device in depth.
maeyan can you change the bullet model to a rodent of some kind? and make them squish on hit? that'd be awesome.

BotmasteR

• Founder
  • Dark Will
« Reply #159 on: Sep 30, 2010; 11:28 pm »
I've played BM till level 45 (elite) and this kind of sword on elite would be useful (for me, at least), besides there are no damage numbers yet, I have not decided how much damage it should do and I'm still thinking about it.

and a second thing, there are some downsides, first not every skill will be useable by BM or a Guardian, so if a BM is going to use this sword, he/she will have to "pay" extra stat points for guardian skill affixes which are useless for him. and second, -120 hp per minute is a dangerous thing and not all chars will be able to handle that and I'm not saying anything about using two of those.

ZenZombie

• Founder
  • Eldest
« Reply #160 on: Oct 01, 2010; 02:15 am »
Quote from: "PeeterMcG"
The abundance of overpowered/imbalanced gear I was seeing was the main reason why I didn't have much interest in a vanity item for myself.

People are already making mods that so overpower their character that they have to create other mods to increase champion and elite baddies spawn rates dramatically.  This indicates to me that things are already WAY imbalanced.  Is it not already enough that we can exceed level 50 with a character?  Do we really need the overpowered gear and the mods that people are making with enough skill points to max out everything or 500 extra attribute points?

<shrug>

Sorry.  Not intending to go on a tirade, it is just that some of us wish to maintain a certain challenge.  I can simply avoid installing any of the "easy mode" mods that people are creating.  If overpowered items are put into the game, then the entire concept of balance is out the window and that is not something I wish to see in the core experience of the game.

If someone wants the "iWin" button, create a damn mod so that you can kill all baddies on the screen with a single key press, leave the core experience alone for the rest of us that wish to enjoy a challenge in our video games.
[/rant]
Quote from: "thumper"
Hmmm. If it's a sword for Peter, then what type of damage is best suited to represent the effect of his wit?  Methinks caustic...
:lol:
Aw, shucks...

Then why don't you create a double edged item where the user would have to look at the item long and hard to decide whether it was worth to use it or not. Such as a blade that increased damage but decreased TAV or something.
All compounded things are ephemeral; work diligently on your salvation

Character Planner

PeeterMcG

• Eldest
« Reply #161 on: Oct 01, 2010; 02:28 am »
Quote from: "ZenZombie"
Then why don't you create a double edged item where the user would have to look at the item long and hard to decide whether it was worth to use it or not. Such as a blade that increased damage but decreased TAV or something.
Because doing that doesn't interest me.
"Don't argue with idiots -- they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Quote from: RoanK
i have absolutely no idea what i'm talking about,
Save your breath...You'll need it to blow up your date.

Leitner

• Founder
  • Dark Will
« Reply #162 on: Oct 01, 2010; 09:33 am »
Pete you make some very good points. But keep in mind that the Dev team maintains veto power on any items that are suggested or alteration power on any accepted items. Maeyan lowered the stats on many of the items he selected(mine included). He cares about balancing and having the game remain a challenge a great deal.

For myself personally I think I might need to change mine a little as it has come to my attention that it is very similar to the templar uniques from 2.0.

But I think you deserve an item as much as anyone in the forum and shouldn't be discouraged by others. There is only one person around here making easy mode mods and although many of us placed power stats on our item they are subject to change.
We are Templar, while we breathe, we defend.

Kite

• Developer
  • Eldest
« Reply #163 on: Oct 01, 2010; 11:55 am »
Well... you don't necessarily have to lower weapon stats. High stats that come at a price (and I dare to say -120 health is a hell of a drawback) are ok, too, as long as the rest of the stats isn't absolutely overpowered :P Most characters will have difficulty to fight AND keep themselves alive so people using that sword are more or less forced to adapt their equippment to compensate for that life loss (like they're forced to skill Aura of Regeneration or to wield a second sword full of +health regen mods).
On another note: I (personally) would suggest that all those items should be uniques, as those are the only ones ingame with fixed and identical affix combinations. While the mythic/double-edged/legendary weapons have a nice color, it might be difficult for people to even find your items as those will be added to a pool of purely random generated stuff that is literally unlimited instead of picking them from a predefined set... Well at least that's my impression :)
~ Recettear ~
Capitalism, ho!

Bryan

• Tactical Happenstance
  • Administrator
  • Great Eye / First
« Reply #164 on: Oct 01, 2010; 12:19 pm »
Seeing as things are the way they are,couldn't we have the community items released as an "optional" mod instead of integrating them in 1.5/2.0?
Just an idea there.
"Dream big and crash often"
-Omerta

List of Global class guides.
The above guides may be obsolete for vanilla SP, but they may still hold true for the 2018 Steam version.